Interview with Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Written by Nathan Douthwaite

York born singer-songwriter Benjamin Francis Leftwich is back and the announcement of a tour and new album has got every fan excited. Nathan Douthwaite caught up with Benjamin to discuss the tour and what lies ahead for this talented artist.

Nathan: Hi Benjamin.

Benjamin: Hey, you okay?

Nathan: Ye I’m good thanks, how are you?

Benjamin: Not bad at all mate, not bad at all! Sorry let me just take my jacket off

Nathan: No problem, what have you been up to this morning?

Benjamin: Just sat in the garden the weather is gorgeous

Nathan: Oh really? It’s pretty dull here

Benjamin: Where are you like?

Nathan: A place called Middlesbrough, Teesside. 

Benjamin: No way? I know that place, I use to have a girlfriend who lived there, we use to go to Roseberry Topping all the time, its ace.

Nathan: That’s class, not many people know Middlesbrough. But the main point of the day is your second album has finally arrived, I know people can’t wait to hear it but how excited are you for people to hear it?

Benjamin: So so excited, I’m really proud of this album and it’s the best, I love all the songs and I feel like I’m honest with the album. Working with Charlie Andrews on the production has opened doors for the songs to develop and sound as good as they can. I wouldn’t be releasing it if I didn’t think it was the best it could be and right now is the right time.

Nathan: That’s made me more excited for the album! Have you got any new inspirations on it?

Benjamin: Haha, the album is sonically more 3-D, the production the dynamics. I feel like I’m a better singer and better guitar player than I was when I released my debut, there’s a spiritual connection to the songs, I care about them. It’s the right time to release it. I’m not saying I did it alone, I still need guidance, and everyone makes mistakes of course, everyone’s only human.

Nathan: Obviously you’ll be playing the album on your tour, how are you feeling about being on tour again?

Benjamin: I honestly can’t wait, touring was my home for years and then I went back to the studio back to writing. But there’s a romance that comes with touring, you meet some great people and end up working with so many different musicians.

Nathan: That’s great to hear, you’re returning to your hometown of York on this tour, but will you be taking any home comforts with you for the other dates?

Benjamin: Great question, I think my home comforts for this tour are the personally hand-picked musicians I’ve got supporting me. Music is my home comfort and having artists I’ve heard before and those I haven’t heard supporting me really is my comfort. I know it’s simple to say but ye.

Nathan: I think that’s great answer, the usual answer would just be something like, oh my DVD box set of whatever.

Benjamin: Haha of course! I don’t think I have anything physical, maybe a couple of T-shirts I like, my jeans, boxers oh and I have a few necklaces and bracelets. I suppose as well my best friend is coming on tour with me so that’s a huge boost for me. It’s gonna be great!

Nathan: You Tweeted about playing old and new songs on tour, do you think you will go as old as some of your EP tracks?

Benjamin: Oh definitely, I love this song off my EP [A Million Miles Out] called Maps, I don’t know if you’ve heard it but it’s a great song. Sometimes you feel restrict because if you only have an hour set there’s only so much you can play, but songs will come to me as I travel on the tour.

Nathan: You’re also playing Live at Leeds aren’t you?

Benjamin: Oh yes, that line up is so good, there’s We Are Scientists, Blood Red Shoes and Los Campesinos are there too aren’t they?

Nathan: Ye I believe so!

Benjamin: It’s a f*cking sick line up, there’s a band there called Slow Club there and they are class, I think we’re sharing a stage so I’m so ready for that.

Nathan: I haven’t heard of them but I’ll definitely be checking them out, I’ll see you there! Just to change the subject a bit, you’re signed to Dirty Hit records that must be pretty cool.

Benjamin: It’s amazing, they’re all my family and I love everyone involved, I love all the other bands too and everyone gets on, from Little Comets to The 1975 to Wolf Alice, that Wolf Alice record man, it’s insane! Not to pick favourites because the full record is amazing but the one where Joel steps up to sing, erm, Swallow Tail! That track is something else. 

Nathan: I know I love that album, staying on albums I know Record Store Day is just around the corner, are you a fan of vinyl records?

Benjamin: I am a fan of vinyl but I’ve never had a vinyl player, I like to have the digital version of songs because it’s easier for me. I can have songs on the go and make playlists with my favourite tracks on. I do own some records though. My ex-girlfriend got me Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen on vinyl and that was amazing because it’s my favourite record. My family always give me vinyls because it’s one of those things people just do. I have a great PJ Harvey one and of course the novelty ones like Kevin Keagan’s Christmas song.

Nathan: Haha everyone has a few of those! Just to wrap us up I have one last question, what are the two things you’d say to any fan who’s coming to your tour dates or buying your new record?

Benjamin: Another great question, wow, firstly I’d just like to thank you so much for believing in my music, for sharing what I believe in and sharing the music with me. I wish I could thank you all face to face and one day I hope I will be able too.  
Secondly I just want to make sure people remember to support new artists in your city. You’ve got to break the city walls if you know what I mean?

Nathan: No could you elaborate?

Benjamin: Well not just music, you have to support theatre, film, poetry, spoken word, basically all forms of art because we need it in this world.

Nathan: I couldn’t agree more, I’m going to use that term [Breaking city walls] from now on, it’s great.

Benjamin: Haha ye man, we’ll have to collaborate on a song together about it!  



Benjamin Francis Leftwich starts his big tour on April 21st. Catch him on any of his dates here.

“After the Rain” is out on 19th August.